Intel i217-V network drivers for Windows Server 2012 R2

Intel can eat a bag of dicks. Here is the driver you need to run Server 2012 on the i217-V chipset.

For some reason they released the i217-V (desktop) and i217-LM (server) versions of their gigabit ethernet chip. They are the same chip. The only difference is that the -V has support for Win7, Win8 and -LM has support for WS2008, WS2012, i.e. desktop drivers and server drivers. The idea is that you can’t run Windows server OS’es on desktop hardware and you will buy the server hardware instead. You should probably do this if you’re a business so that you have official support and your boss won’t fire you. If you’re a home user/hobbyist, you’re going to want your hardware to work with your OS. So let’s fix that.

So we’re going to move some lines around in the config file (.ini) and comment out others. I’ve already done this, you are ready to go. This should work with any H87 or Z87 chipset motherboard with the i217-V gigabit ethernet chipset/network chip.

You can ( download the file(s) here. 8.4MB zip file ).

This only works for WS2012 and Hyper-V Server 2012 (and the R2 versions). NDIS63 folder is for Windows 8/2012, NDIS62 is for Windows 7/2008 R2 and NDIS61 is for Windows Vista/2008, but the same concept applies there too.

Thanks to users JoeSchmoe007 on HardOCP and Ivo Beerens on IvoBeerens.nl

+————————————————–+

Run these commands -AS ADMINISTRATOR- from the command line to disable driver integrity checks (this lets you sneak past intel’s bullshit)

Full post under the cut~

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

Run the installer in APPS\SETUP\SETUPBD\Winx64\ which is SetupBD.exe and then restart the machine. It will probably warn you about installing non-standard drivers, go ahead anyways.

Reboot. It should work now. Note: This did not work for me immediately. I had to run APPS\PROSETDX\Winx64\DxSetup.exe first, then run setupbd.exe to get the warning message to pop up. If you don’t get the pop up message to display, your drivers did not actually install. Yes, this is very hacky. But it works. Good luck.

You should probably turn back on integrity checks to keep things clean, but it’s not required:

bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

+—————————————————+

If you’re curious, the lines you’re changing are in e1d63x64.inf, the end result is this. You can copy/paste this yourself but the working file itself is in the downloadable ZIP:

[ControlFlags]
%E155ANC.DeviceDesc% = E155A, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_155A
%E155ANC.DeviceDesc% = E155A, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_155A&SUBSYS_00008086
%E155ANC.DeviceDesc% = E155A, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_155A&SUBSYS_00011179
%E153BNC.DeviceDesc% = E153B.6.2.1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153B
%E153BNC.DeviceDesc% = E153B.6.2.1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153B&SUBSYS_00008086
%E153BNC.DeviceDesc% = E153B.6.2.1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153B&SUBSYS_00011179
This entry was posted in computing and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

94 Responses to Intel i217-V network drivers for Windows Server 2012 R2

1. Jan Eggen says:

Hi

I couldn’t find a folder called PROSETDX, but what did the trick for me was scanning for drivers on the NIC and choosing the driver directory, ignoring the error and then the drivers installed smoothly.

Thanks a lot for your article, was driving me nuts that I couldn’t get the NIC installed and was one click away ordering a non motherboard integrated NIC. :-)

Yes, Intel can eat a lot of male parts and stuff from the hole near it, and I even choosed a mainboard with an Intel NIC to avoid problems, hrmpf! :-(

Regards
    Jan Eggen

2. DJ says:

Thanks a bunch! I don’t understand why they do this to the consumer! As a consumer I buy my computer shyt and expect to do whatever I want with them not for corporations to tell me what to do!

3. R.W. says:

Well, first of all thanks for the workaround!

I intended to use the i217-V with Hyper-V 2012 and like the author and Jan, I could not install the driver by only running the SetupBD.exe. So i tried to start the mentioned DxSetup.exe. But the folder …\APPS\PROSETDX\… did not exist in the above provided modified driver package (as Jan has already mentioned).

So I looked for an original driver package and found this one in the Intel Download Center:

Intel® Ethernet Connections CD; 18_7_CD.zip

I unzipped that file and copied the whole …\PROSETDX\… folder into the authors modified driver package. Afterwards I just needed to start the DxSetup.exe on the server, had to click through the appearing installation dialogs and reboot the server. Then everything was fine.

4. admin says:

Thanks RW! Yes my package may be missing a few files, it started out at about 100mb so I tried to trim it down (to 8mb) to save bandwidth, thanks for sharing the link to Intel’s website. Glad you got it to work.

5. Mark Jones says:

Hi,

Really need this for windows home sever 2011. I have built a itx home server and the 1 pci express slot I taken up by my raid card and Intel have screwed me over big time. £600 down the drain. can you help me get this working to WHS 2011 platform.

6. Mark Jones says:

would really appreciate your help

Mark

7. admin says:

Email sent

8. Mark Jones says:

Hi Chad,

Thank you so much for your help, I was on the verge of giving up and getting an new mobo. I have an Asus H87i-Plus which according to the Asus website has an intel l217 Ethernet chip (although seems more specifically the l217-v locked version but it doesn’t say that. I am running Windows Home server 2011 (windows server 2008 R2 Standard,build 7601). I tried to modify the driver file like your guide said but upon installing it said that it could not complete as there was something missing in the file. under device manager it is now listed as the right card but with a warning triangle and no drivers are actually installed.

I hope you can help

Thanks

Mark

9. Mark Jones says:

hi chad,

I don’t suppose you have had any luck? If not will have to ebay this mobo

thanks for trying

Mark

10. EC says:

Thank you this worked perfectly on an Intel DH87RL with Windows Server 2012 R2 !! Yeah baby – cheap servers for the masses.

Followed R.W.’s instructions and download link. At first neglected to run the bcdedit commands, this caused the driver to not install (so be sure to run those according to the original instructions).

11. Jonas says:

Thank you! Got it working with ASUS HV-87i Plus running Windows Server 2012 RS. However after installing (no error message) and a reboot it still didn’t work. Went to the device manager -> Network adapter -> Intel Ethernet Connection -> Update driver software -> browse and manually point windows to your driver pack (PRO1000\Winx64) and Eureka! :)

12. Bilbo says:

Thank you ever so much for this information which enabled me to install Windows Server 2012 R2 on an Asus H87i-plus mmotherboard.

Personally I had to download the intel driver pack as stipulated by R.W, run DXSetup, then manually point the network adapter to the PRO1000 folder. I got the message about drivers, clicked through it and now have a working LAN.

Off to AD, DNS and DHCP land now :)

Thanks once again

13. shukree krunz says:

thanks a lot for this article, i have Gigabyte-GA-Z87X-D3H , which has the same Intel i217-V,i could not install LAN driver for Windows Server 2012 R2 without your workaround.

thanks again

14. madbaddad says:

You sir, are a genius! Works like a charm on Server 2012 R2 and a Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H mobo! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

15. tfitzy says:

Thanks so much guys, just installing Windows Server Essentials 2012 on the same Asus H871-Plus Motherboard and it worked great (after a few fits and starts!). Into the updating.

16. WinServ says:

OMG ! Great – everything is working !
    Thanks a lot from germany !
    You made my day ;)

Soweit für die Deutschen hier :
    Echt genial, dachte schon ich muss mein HomeServer Projekt aufgeben – aber nein, dank dem geänderten Treiber geht alles 1A !
    Vielen Vielen Dank !

17. George Adrian says:

Another “life saving” post and where can that be found? On exactly the same blog which saved my ass some time ago (TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND DD-WRT No WAN fix). Searching for a resolution to Intel i217-V on Server 2012 problem I found this post on your blog again and I said to myself “this must be the will of GOD”!! Thank you so much for your post and GOD bless you again!!!

18. Murdoc says:

Hi, thanks for your tutorial, but I am somehow not able to install these drivers using Server2k8R2; I am using the right comannds and your provided zip-file. Do I need to change anything since you are using Server 2k12?

19. George says:

Thanks – This article got me over the hump with my new ASRock B85 PRO4 motherboard. Great motherboard, got all the drivers installed and working except for the lan driver. Only then did I learn that there are no “supported” drivers for Win 2012 Server. Win2012 and Win8 are designed by Microsoft with the same core such that the same driver will work. Why did someone at Intel decide to override this?!! I will now avoid any motherboards with Intel based Lan.

Anyway, I thought I was going to have to install a separate gigabit network card and disable the on-board lan to solve this. Nothing worked until I found this post.

I installed Windwos 2012 R2, but had newer drivers from ASRock. Just followed the instructions above… made similar edits to the newer e1d64x64.inf file… ran the two bcdedit commands… and bam! the driver installs. You ROCK!

20. Igor (RU) says:

Все работает. Скачайте и установите.
    URL http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18725/eng/PROWinx64.exe

21. GH says:

Even if the instructions above work on Windows Server 2012, they do not seem to work on Hyper-V 2012 R2. It says drivers for Intel I217-V installed successfully, but on reboot I still get “No active network adapters found”. Has anyone experienced the same? The driver which works on Windows 7 is: e1d62x64.inf

22. admin says:

I can confirm that this works on Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 as that is what my home vmlab/fileserver runs on, which uses this chipset (and why I had to research this in the first place). Also they are the same kernel, just with different roles installed.

The Windows 7 and Windows 8 drivers are going to be different, you need to be using the 63×64.inf (win8) version, not 62×64 (win7); you are loading the Win8 version of this driver and tricking the OS in to thinking it is WS2012 R2. Also if you aren’t getting the warning message it’s not installing, make sure you follow the instructions very very closely, there is no room for error.

23. GH says:

Got it working. Followed the instructions above, then at the end had to type: pnputil -i -a e1d63x64.inf

24. Isom says:

This worked for me on 1/21/2014. Followed the steps exactly after downloading the zip file.

25. MM-UTS says:

Legend!
    This worked for me also on 28/1/2014. Just had to reboot after disabling the driver validation.

26. yourgeeman says:

Thank you very much! Now, does anyone know how to get the PCI Simple Controller and the SM controller drivers to work? I have a Gigabyte with z87 chipset.

27. zoxxo says:

You are a god! Thanks to you I still have some hair left! Any ideas where I can find other drivers for this mobo? Thanks so much for making this happen!!!

28. bondisdead says:

I have been unsuccessful with WHS 2011 installation of the driver (NDIS62 – e1d62x64.inf). I hacked the INF file in the NDIS62 folder, then tried a few of the things mentioned here. I have gotten the driver warning message pop-up, but it will eventually tell me that intel device is not found. I have tested the board with Win7 installation, so I know the Ethernet ports works. ANy ideas?!

29. bondisdead says:

Ended up solving it myself via another blog. Very similar to this one, except that it provided the exact editing of the INF file that was required:

30. M.Indo says:

I followed your instructions to the T and the only error I get is no intel adapter found, I have an Asus Maximus VI Hero Motherboard Running Windows Server 2008 R2. I am using the e1d62x64 version as well …any suggestions?

31. Andrew Zimmerman says:

Thanks bud.

32. Ken Penrod says:

OK, I’m building a Virtualization Software Lab server using an ASRock Extreme6 MB and Intel i5 4570S processor. It has Intel i217-V and Intel i211AT onboard. Have installed Windows Server 2012 R2 using Hyper-V.

You ROCK! …or in this case ASROCK!!!

This fix worked great. Thanks.

KP

33. Christian Lorentzen says:

Just bought H87i-plus mobo and hit the same wall as the rest of you.

Just dont seems to be able to run the command:
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

Due to secure boot policy. I guess this means that i cant run Server 2012R2 on UEFI in order to get this driver to work?

34. Charles says:

Confirming this works on ASRock Z87 PRO3 with Windows Server Hyper-V 2012 R2 (that’s the server core edition). To save people time, my exact steps:

- ‘no active network adapters found’ message is displayed after install.
    - at admin command prompt:
    bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
    - then i got a pop-up window asking to install intel network drivers. Hit yes. Wait patiently (it took a few minutes without responding).
    - restart
    - still no joy. Don’t panic.
    - at command prompt (assuming you’ve copied the file linked in the original post to a USB in drive e:), run:
    pnputil.exe -i -a “e:\USBSTICK\drivers\Intel lan\PRO1000\WinX64\NDIS63\*.inf”
    - you should then get the scary-looking screen warning you about the success you’re about to have :) Click through it and then you should be able to hit option 4 to config network card options.
    - finally, run these to tighten everything back up as suggested:
    bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

Can’t thank OP enough…huge win here not just in saving $$$ but probably a day of my life. Stay awesome.

- C

35. Pingback: [Kaufberatung] Sparsames 1150 Mainboard

36. Ethan Wang says:

OMG Thank you! I’ve been trying to solve this on my server for days…

37. Adam says:

I just installed the i217-lm driver for my i217-v chip and so far it works perfectly.

38. Hi, thank you so much! I have solved my problem on my B85-Pro Gamer using Win Server 2012. And also I can install the newer driver from intel after I run the command.

39. From a Dutch guy says:

Hi, thank you so much! It has solved my probem with my Asrock Z87M Pro4 maibord when installing SRV 2012 R2. Even after a windows update its working perfect.

40. goran says:

Cannot thank you enough. I am installing win 2008 R2. Did not need to change absolutely any configuration file. Just selected the LM driver and all worked magically.

41. mr.Fox says:

Work perfect for my GA-Z87N-WIFI (rev. 1.x) on windows server 2012R2, had to modify the Intel\PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS64\e1d64x64.inf
    Downloaded Intel lan driver from Gigabyte version 18.8

42. Ryan says:

Hi,

Got this driver to work on my h87i-plus correctly, however I have problems with wake on lan not working at all, i’ve check my settings i believe they’re correct so i’m not sure if its the driver fault.

Did anyone got WOL working on this driver?

43. plex says:

Hi. I decided to write a small program that allows the use of all intel network cards on windows server versions.
    Please note this program is still in the beta phase when problems or errors, and of course if successful, I would appreciate a feedback.
    Download here Nachrichten

44. George says:

ASUS Z87Pro
    I’ve found only one solution. Install internall Win2k12Serv’ driver for Intel(R) Ethernet I210-T1 GbE NIC

45. Claudiu says:

any chance to make this nic work on xp 32 bits?

46. Claudiu says:

Nevermind, I sorted it out.. I just made xp think this is a 82579LM network card by editing e1c5132.inf and replacing E1502 by E153B in the Intel PRO2K3XP_32 driver (ver 18.3 Final) for WIndows XP (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18717/eng/PRO2K3XP_32.exe&Lang=eng&Dwnldid=18717).

47. Claudiu says:

I forgot.. These have to be added too, in the [Intel.NTx86.5.1.1] section (you can leave the E1502 lines there or you can delete them):

%E153BNC.DeviceDesc% = E153B, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153B
    %E153BNC.DeviceDesc% = E153B, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153B&SUBSYS_00008086
    %E153BNC.DeviceDesc% = E153B, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153B&SUBSYS_00011179

48. Tof006 says:

Hi Plex,
    I have tried your Software but it doesn’t let me install my drivers on the 2012 R2 server I have installed… It tells me the hash is not present blabla
    Did you write another version I could try please ?
    I’m trying to install I211 driver on Windows Server 2012 R2…
    I’m really upset to see that Intel is so idiot to prevent us to install what we want on computers we build… My motherboard is a brand new ASUS Z97-Deluxe and I’m already bothered by this problem. It’s a shame.

49. Tof006 says:

UPDATE for Plex : It worked wonderfully… Thanks for your program. I’m really happy to have found your program. I really think it’s a shame Intel does this kinda trick to end users who want to install a server OS on their machine..
    Thanks again

50. Jake daniels says:

Prop props props ;-) I had to get the realtek Nic to work on the Z87 Deluxe/Quad so I could find this post …. nuff said. So you buy a board that cost about as much as server board only to be shafted :-P
    I was having problems with an SSD so threw in a drive that just happened to have Server2012R2 on it and it came up working except for the Nic. At least i jhave a better understandiing of the driver….I think.