Tonight’s project was a guitar stand. The nearest store that sells stands is a good 20 min drive, each way. The hardware store is about 5 minutes away. I picked up a piece of 2″x2″x8′ pine for $1.50, a set of four miniature brass hinges for $2.50, some brass angle brackets for $2.00 and a set of four ‘antique finish’ chair braces for $2.50. So about $10 after taxes and cost of gas to drive there. The hardware store cut the 2x2x8 in to four 20″ sections, with a remaining 16″ section (to be used as the cross brace). In retrospect the cross brace should have been cut to 10 or 12″, but that can always be sawn off later.
Author’s Edit: Three years later, I finally junked this thing. I ended up buying about five of these guitar stands, which not only are cheaper, but better constructed and take up less space when folded. They’re only about $7 a piece and come with free shipping if you roll them in with the purchase of a CD or some guitar picks.
I connected two pieces together on the ends with a hinge to create the V shaped base, and attached two uprights to the base with the angle brackets (two per), and attached the uprights to the 16″ cross piece with two more miniature brass hinges. This is the secret to not having to cut anything. It also saves the trouble of having to custom fit anything, due to the weird angle.
Finally I added the chair braces to the V base to keep the guitar from sliding/falling forward and off the stand, and another two at the cross brace to keep the neck from falling to either side. I then cut the felt pads with adhesive backing to size and wrapped the metal chair braces with felt. I’ll probably go back and move the chair braces closer together so the neck can’t slide back and forth as much. Some of the screws were rather large in diamater, and in lieu of having a drill to create small holes, I ended up just pounding nails in to the wood where I was going to screw something in, and then removed the nail. More or less the same effect, and I didn’t split the wood, which was the main purpose of the nailing exercise.
It gets the job done. It’s not much to look at, but a coat of wood stain and varnish, the ends chopped off the cross brace, and it’ll look a lot smarter. It’s not particularly sturdy, but it’s strong enough to hold the guitar safely. But it went together without any glue, clamping, or having to buy a saw, so I count it as a victory.