Alright, the Scout Update for TF2 is finally here, and good news! It works flawlessly with Steam Achievement Manager 5.1 you can download it here. Since Valve is selling it half price before the weekend starts, you newbies might want to know that you can just unlock the “milestone” achievements, which gives you all the new weapons (The Sandman, The Force-A-Nature, Bonk Energy Drink) and allows you to still get all the cool achievements normally(!). See pic below.
edit: Valve is threatening to take away your unlockables for a week if you use the Achievement Unlocker. Note that they are not going to VAC ban you, rather just not let you use the Force-A-Nature for the first seven days. To be honest, I used the unlocker the first day and still have all the weapons. But you consider yourself warned.
If you think this “helicopter parenting” by Valve is ridiculous, help me campaign against it. File a TF2 bug (from the main TF2 menu) named “Leave the Achievement Unlocker Alone”. I took a screen shot of a frowny face made of medic needles and sent it to them.
Note to valve: Kindly go fuck yourselves. Some of us have Real Jobs or are in College and don’t have the time to grind out achievements to play with the new (honestly lousy) unlocks.
Ok, typical questions
1) Will I get VAC banned for using this?
2) Are you sure?
3) How do I use Steam Achievement Manager?
- Install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 if you do not already have it installed.
- Download Steam Achievement Manager.
- Extract it to a directory that is convenient to you, but not your Steam directory. It’s a ZIP file, if you don’t know how to extract a ZIP file then you probably shouldn’t be trying to use this tool.
- Run Steam if it is not already running.
- Exit any active VAC protected games if any are running. While this tool does not directly interact with any game itself, it is better safe than sorry.
- Run Steam Achievement Manager and do whatever you want in it.
As always, kudos to our valiant heros for not forcing us to grind our way through achievements to get the unlocks.