Well Valve has announced the
Sniper Update Spy Update, due out Tuesday, May 19th Thursday, May 21st. Of course there will be unlockables, the first announced Tuesday, is the Huntsman Bow. And also the Dead Ringer and Cloak and Dagger watches. These should be unlockable using the Steam Achievement Manager 4.0. Steam Achievement Manager 5.1.
In theory this should work for thes sniper unlockables. Valve has been playing around with unique items (hats) which might indicate a shift away from achievement-based weapons earning such as the Force-A-Nature (FAN), Backburner, Heavy and Medic unlocks. But for now we still have the steam achievement manager.
How do you use it? Follow below the cut! :
- Install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 if you do not already have it installed.
- Download Steam Achievement Manager.
- Extract it to a directory that is convenient to you, but not your Steam directory. It’s a ZIP file, if you don’t know how to extract a ZIP file then you probably shouldn’t be trying to use this tool.
- Run Steam if it is not already running.
- Exit any active VAC protected games if any are running. While this tool does not directly interact with any game itself, it is better safe than sorry.
- Run Steam Achievement Manager and do whatever you want in it.
Also unlocks achievements with these games (and many more):
- Unreal Tournament 3
- Age of Chivalry
- Empire: Total War
- And Yet It Moves
- Left 4 Dead (L4D)
- Day of Defeat: Source (DoD:S)
FAQ: Valve bannination for using this?
Exceedingly doubtful. The folks at Valve are very much aware that this exists. It used to be a don’t ask, don’t tell situation, and by using the unlocker you aren’t affecting other’s gameplay. Although with the Scout update, Valve threatened to take our toys away for a week if we used it. So no, you’re not going to have your steam account banned, but it’s likely you’ll lose your unlockables for a couple of days following the release. It took valve 6 days to get around to removing my Scout unlocks, and I had them back in two days. Nobody has had any issues in the week after the scout update was released. A hollow threat if you ask me.
Are unlockers VAC bannable? No they are not. Firstly, the achievements unlockers ARE NOT EXPLOITS, they use a public API in the Source SDK which Valve has provided us with. They are not detected by VAC since they aren’t allowing players to cheat in any way.
But I’m wary that this is spyware/awful bad things will happen to my computer! ?
It’s clean. Check all the forums nobody’s ever had an issue with it. Check the comments from the previous scout patch, zero complaints. Click the “previously” link at the bottom of that post to see more comments, and so on back to the pyro patch.
Who wrote this?